Vision, You Can’t See Your Way Without It

Vision - management3

How can you ever get to where you want to be if you don’t know where you’re going? How do you find shortcuts if you’re not sure of your destination? Most people spend more time at work than they do in any other part of their lives, with one exception, sleeping. That’s a lot of your life to spend doing something you don’t care about or in a place you don’t like. Having a vision for our work lives allows us to put our personal power behind the work we do and ultimately bring more satisfaction to our lives. A vision gives you a path to a desired outcome and the emotional resolution to follow it.

When I think of having a vision, I’m thinking about that emotional space you inhabit when your world is moving towards your desired goals. That place where you see yourself and you are in synch with the world around you. But the question I keep confronting is, what is it that a vision does to move, motivate and inspire?

I’ve known leaders who were absolute…well, visionaries.  Ones whose insight and perceptions were so far forward, it was as if they operated in a different time stream. They could inspire, charm and cajole people to do things that seemed impossible.  When the focus is right and the resources available, it’s a bit like watching or being part of magic. However, it doesn’t always work that way, in one particular case, the vision had a rather startling and negative effect. In this instance, the visionary leader became so entranced by the big picture that it was impossible to effectively implement anything. Multiple priorities competed for attention, all contributing to the big vision, but the vision was so overwhelming, it could not be processed by staff much less addressed. Not surprisingly, the consequences were financial, and people lost their jobs, but more concerning is that it also had an impact on morale.

So while having a vision is critical to achieving your goals, not all visions are the right fit. The question isn’t do you need a vision, but is your vision the right one? When I’m struggling with a challenge, I look inwards first and then I look outwards for answers.

As I look in, I imagine what my world would look like if things were exactly as I wanted them, if I had no limitations.   If the issue is work related, say I want to know what my next job should be, I picture myself in my imaginary office and ask questions.

• What am I seeing?  Is there a window?  A large desk? Are there paintings on the wall? Is there a laptop?
  • Are my colleagues brainstorming and laughing? Who are they? Do I have any direct reports?
  • Who do I report to?  Do I have a boss or do I report to myself?
  • What kinds of projects am I working on? Are they huge, small? A blend?
  • What skill sets have I acquired?

The answers eventually lead me to different kinds of questions, like, what kind of position would I have to be in to do that kind of work? What kind of work has me out and meeting with various people or tucked away at home? The more questions that you pose the more likely you are to come out with an effective vision.  For instance, you may want to influence people.  You might envision yourself up on stage or out interacting with the public, but if you don’t want people prying into your personal life, you may want to think about being a professional speaker versus being a politician. If you want to be a professional speaker, what are you going to speak about?

So what does a vision do that makes it work? According to productivity expert, Ann Max, one of the basic things a vision does is give you a framework to operate in. It provides a focus and a path to follow. In essence, a vision gives you structure. I think it also gives you hope, a very powerful combination to get motivated.

Acquiring a vision can seem like a slow process, but the thing that makes it doable is that it can start off simply. It can begin with questions you can easily answer and only when you have one level firmly pictured do you move on to the next set of questions and details. How hard is it to imagine a place where you’d like to sit during your work day?

The next challenge is to take your questions externally. Talk to people you respect and trust and ask them what skills you would need to make it happen. Ask them what jobs they think might suite you. Once you have a clearer idea of what you want and what it takes to get there, you know  how to start planning for it.

The first time I did this visioning exercise was more than fifteen years ago.  I imagined myself working in a collegial environment, meeting lots of interesting people, doing intellectually challenging work and working for a cause that I cared about.  There were more details, but even the ones that seemed frivolous like the art work in my office or the view out the window (and there has always been a window) have usually come to pass. My last three positions have delivered that and much, much more, but I doubt I would have followed that first job opportunity if I hadn’t firmly pictured where I wanted to land. This approach has worked when I’ve done it to resolve project, staffing or personal challenges. This is why I think having the right vision works.

I would love to hear your feedback.  What do you do to get yourself focused and on target?  How do you know when the vision you chose is the right one?

About Debra Yearwood

Experienced communications and public relations executive who manages challenges with an eye on outcomes and a sense of humour. Learn more about how I think at https://commstorm.com/ Learn more about my experience at ca.linkedin.com/in/debrayearwood/
This entry was posted in Management, public relations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Vision, You Can’t See Your Way Without It

1. Gabrean says:

Sometimes we are torn between decisions. Could it be because we’ve not invested time sharpening our vision in life; I’m learning…vision directs decision.

2. becc03 says:

I agree totally that a vision “gives you hope, a very powerful combination to get motivated”. I am in that void where I haven’t got my vision down properly yet and it is leading to confusion. It is time to set this as a priority again to move things forward.
    Thank you for the much need kick up the behind 🙂

• Being distracted by a variety of real and personal challenges doesn’t leave a lot of room for introspection, never mind creating a personal vision. You’re a strong person so it was just a question of time before you worked it out on your own…but if a little kick helped, glad to be of service. 🙂

3. I think you are right on the money! We spend so much time at work that if our work isn’t meaningful, our lives lose a bit of meaning. Having vision (and looking at the bigger picture) is key to brining in that meaning.

• I’m always amazed when people tell me that it’s “just work” after relating some demoralizing or frustrating event. Life is too short to spend so much of it miserable.

4. Laurel says:

I love the ‘vision” concept Debra. It is not something that I had ever considered in my career journeys. I do however, embrace the concept of ‘manifestation’ and I have used it to reach for and obtain career goals, as well as personal goals. Since manifestation is a perceptible, outward, or visible expression of something, it is seems similar to a vision to me. Manifestation fits into my brain because I am a doer. I need to make things happen. I want to make things happen. I know “that job” will suit my lifestyle, meets my skill set and will make me happy…now I find a million ways to go it. What you have put forward in your blog makes so much sense to me. Maybe I never realized that I was laying out a vision for myself, and that I naturally jumped into manifesting where I wanted to be and what I wanted to do.

5. Debra — such a thoughtful and provocative post. No matter at what stage you are in life — and I’m happily living my final vision for my career — you need to be envisioning if what you are doing now will lead to you where you want to go. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have that road map. It’s a very difficult exercise to ask yourself the questions you posed when you’re unsure of what you want. Or, we’re afraid that what we want is unattainable. We’re afraid to make the effort. I hope your advice helps people with making the difficult choices to choose the right path.

• Thanks Jeannette. I wonder which is harder, asking uncomfortable questions or living with the consequences of not asking? I honestly think its a tough call, but I opt to ask because at least then I don’t have to worry about all the surprises I’m going to encounter along the way, as well as, the surprise waiting for me at an unknown destination. 🙂

6. Your post made me think of that Diana Ross song, “Do you know where you’re going to?” While it’s important to have goals, you need to map out how you’re going to get there. Sometimes, it helps to write it out – or draw it out, whatever works for you. And remember to be flexible, because sometimes life throws a little curve ball your way …

• Couldn’t agree more. Although I love to write, I often don’t want to take the time to write up a vision, but putting the pen to paper provides additional strength to the structure and can also bring focus.

7. HI Debra, The second line in your post, ” How do you find shortcuts if you’re not sure of your destination?” explained it all to me. It’s about having a very clear vision isn’t it. If your vision is even a little blurry you can’t accomplish your goals. I have had that problem several times. I had an idea of what I wanted but it was not concise so I could not and did not succeed. I think it helps to write it down – to make it real.

• You are spot on. Clarity matters. I get lazy and think, I’m more or less on top of what I want, but in reality, I’ve only started to think about it. It takes time and energy, but its worth it.

8. I recently finished graduate school where we discussed a vision in the corporate setting. It is interesting to place that in a personal setting as well. At this point in life and the end of school it seems like I am expected to know what I want to do. I have some ideas. I’m going to use your questions to make those ideas clearer in my head and hopefully easier to explain as I job search. Thanks for writing on this topic!

9. Vision is so important. And it’s actually harder than it looks. Our natural inclination is to see life through a narrow window. It just feels right to see a work week or what you are going to do on the holiday weekend, but you have to dig deeper if you would like to carve out the life you want. I try to sit back from time to time and envision every aspect of my life. Every piece. See it from the lens of what would make me happy. That’s it. Not what makes the most money or what is the natural extension of what I’m doing now, but what makes me happy.

• I totally agree with the money thing. If that becomes your focus you’re doomed to succeed in your goal and fail in everything else. Even a homeless person begging on the street will make a little money every once in a while. Visions have to be made up bigger ideas. As friend recently reminded me, Martin Luther King didn’t say, “I have a balanced budget…” 🙂

10. mkslagel says:

Great and helpful post. This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately. I recently graduated college and I have no idea what I want to do yet. While most people set out with one vision, I have set out with many. Some have changed while others are the same. I really need to sit down and come up with some sort of direction however.

• Thanks Mary. It doesn’t seem odd to me that you have to choose amongst visions. I’m more amazed at people who absolutely know what they want to do at the start and just set about making a plan to do it. Humans are complicated creatures, why should our possible visions be any different. The only thing to watch is never deciding.

11. Catarina says:

Agree with you, Debra. Having a vision is fundamental. If you don’t know where you are going, how will you get there?:-)

It’s also important to beware that there will be turns on the road to get there and you have to adapt or drive off the road.

Another important thing is to not be ahead of time and working to achieve a vision that the world around you isn’t yet ready for. That’s happened to a lot of visionaries and years later someone else has achieved what they aimed for, sometimes after the visionary has passed away.

• That last point is a tough one. It’s so sad when you see someone who is absolutely doing the right thing but is totally out of synch. I had a colleague who created an amazing program for an advanced practice in his profession, but it was about ten years before the profession was even ready to look at it. By then he’d gotten discouraged and moved on.

12. The start of your article reminded me of a moment attributed to Alice in Wonderlad. When she is trying to find here way she is asked well “well, where are you gong?” She answers that she doesn’t know. The response to this ” then it doesn’t matter the path you take.” Our vision of the future determines the path we must take to get there.

13. I had a vision of getting an education, and teaching just sort of happened. I’m stubborn, so it took me a while to realize it wasn’t the right vision for me. I never do things small, so when the chance came to quit, I jumped on it. Unfortunately my plan for writing didn’t go much further than that. It’s been interesting to stake my new path, but I feel I am on the right one, the path I should have continued to pursue when I was studying writing in college. Even though I enjoyed many aspects of teaching, it wasn’t the right path for me, since almost every morning on my drive to school I would ask myself if I could see myself teaching for the next 20 years. When I ask myself I I see myself writing and editing for the rest of my life, the answer is definitely yes. Now I just have to work on defining my vision and setting realistic goals.

• Jeri, the fact that you actually ask yourself the questions that you do, “Do I see myself doing this for the next 20 years…” is so much further than most people ever get in the conversation. Most people hesitate to ask because they are afraid of the answer. If you say, “No, I can’t see myself doing this.” then an even tougher question shows up, “So what are you going to be doing?”. To me you’ve already done the hard work, you built the structure. In fact, you’ve done more, you’re on the final edit of your second book, I’d say you’re just picking curtains now. 🙂

14. This is such great advise. It is easy to just let life flow, not always to a happy end. When you take to create a vision, your vision it really helps set your course to a desire destination. This outline principle can be applied to any part of our life. For me, I am involved in where my desired next steps should be and where I ultimately want to go. Such an easy statement take I realize will take some work. Thank you for the gentle push to take the right steps my friend.

15. Arleen says:

I look at visions as the power of the mind. We all have it but do not use the wonderful gift and the. Power of suggestion. I focus on what I want and then visualize as if it already happened. You remember the old comment “Be careful for what you wish you for”. Everything you do there is a plan whether known or unknown. Interesting article

• It’s amazing what your mind can do, often making the impossible seem common place. It’s funny, you used the expression, “Careful what you wish for.” When my kids are wishing unpleasant things on each other I always tell them off, because I do think the subconscious is a powerful and sometimes terrifying thing. 🙂

I want to know what you think. Please leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s